2021-22 HKFA FA Cup – BC Rangers 4:0 HKFC


BC Rangers and HKFC locked horns on Sunday afternoon in Tsing Yi Sports Ground for a 2021-22 FA Cup quarter-final battle. A double from Leandro Basan, as well as goals from Lo Kwan-yee and Lau Chi-lok, drove BC Rangers past HKFC through a 4:0 victory on the day, as the side went on to claim a spot in the FA Cup semi-final.

HKFC fired the first warning shot of the game on the 2nd minute, when Leonardo Peres unleashed a tight angle shot from the right side of the BC Rangers box that ended up hitting defender Jean Kilama and went out of play.

Moments later, it was HKFC once again. This time, Antoine Sahaghian sent a lovely through ball down the middle and picked out teammate Marcus Mcmillan. The latter unloaded despite under pressure from a BC Rangers player but could not beat BC Rangers goalkeeper Leung Hing-kit with his shot.

BC Rangers drew first blood of the game on the 14th minute. Lam Hin-ting did some fine work down the left side and teed up teammate Lo Kwan-yee with a low cross. Lo stepped up to the ball outside the HKFC box and sent a thunderbolt towards the HKFC net. The ball first hit the crossbar, then hit HKFC goalkeeper Frederick Toomer and rolled into the net. BC Rangers was now in front 1:0.

BC Rangers hit HKFC with another goal on the 22nd minute. Lo Kwan-yee delivered a well-placed long ball and found Walter Junior on the left wing. The Brazilian then knocked a great cross towards the middle. Leandro Basan took care of the rest and tucked the ball home with ease. It was now 2:0 with BC Rangers in front.

Afterwards, BC Rangers came up with back-to-back scoring chances and nearly expanded its lead, yet shots from Kim Minkyu and Lam Hin-ting both failed to find the back of the HKFC goal.

Approaching the end of the first half, BC Rangers generated another solid scoring chance. Walter Junior delivered yet another teasing cross towards the middle. Leandro Basan connected with the cross at the back-post but sent his one-timer wide off the net.

Right before half-time, HKFC almost got on the scoreboard. Antoine Sahaghian managed to uncork a laser beam from the right wing, forcing BC Rangers goalkeeper Leung Hing-kit to pave the ball away. The first half concluded with BC Rangers leading HKFC 2:0.

HKFC wasted no time in the second half and came threatening the BC Rangers goal. On the 47th minute, Marcus Mcmillan’s powerful drive from the left side of the BC Rangers box was cleared away by an opposing player. The ball subsequently fell for Kieran Robinson, who duly headed the ball towards the BC Rangers goal but was paved away by a sprawling Leung Hing-kit in net.

On the 56th minute, BC Rangers produced a neat scoring chance from a set-piece. Lam Ka-wai took the direct route with his free-kick on the right wing and belted a curling shot towards the net, only to be turned away by a full-stretch save from Frederick Toomer in the HKFC goal.

BC Rangers added to its lead on the 75th minute, when Leandro Basan connected with a teammate’s centering pass and tucked the ball home from point blank distance. BC Rangers was up 3:0 at this point.

BC Rangers was not done on the day and expanded its lead on the 80th minute. Lau Chi-lok gave chase to a teammate’s long pass and dashed into the HKFC penalty area. Lau kept his composure and coolly slotted the ball into the HKFC net through the far side, giving BC Rangers a 4:0 lead.

The 4:0 score stood towards the final whistle, as BC Rangers shutout HKFC on the day and advanced to the FA Cup semi-final.


BC Rangers 4:0 HKFC