2021-22 HKFA FA Cup – Kitchee 2:1 Kwoon Chung Southern


Kitchee took on Kwoon Chung Southern in Mongkok Stadium on Sunday afternoon for the last remaining 2021-22 FA Cup quarter-final matchup. Kwoon Chung Southern established an early lead in the game but allowed Kitchee to tie the score deep in second half. Kitchee then went one step further in extra-time and took the lead through a well-taken goal from Alexander Akande, eventually clinching a 2:1 come-from-behind victory over Kwoon Chung Southern and advancing to the FA Cup semi-final.

Kitchee came close to opening the score on the 8th minute. Roberto Affonso did yeoman’s work down the right wing and dug the ball towards the middle. Poon Pui-hin latched onto the cross at the front-post but fired the ball wide.

On the 11th minute, it was Kwoon Chung Southern that opened the score. James Ha connected with a teammate’s centering pass and sent a one-timer towards the Kitchee net. Paulo Da Silva flashed out a great save and paved the ball away, only to witness Kwoon Chung Southern’s Cheng Chin-lung nodding home the rebound from doorstep. Kwoon Chung Southern was up 1:0.

Kitchee had a great chance to tie the game on the 35th minute. Chan Shinichi unleashed a sweet, curling free-kick from outside the Kwoon Chung Southern box, only to be tipped over the crossbar by goalkeeper Ng Wai-him. The first half eventually concluded with Kwoon Chung Southern enjoying a 1:0 lead over Kitchee.

Early in the second half, Kwoon Chung Southern had a superb chance to double its lead. Stefan Pereira nicely chested down a teammate’s long pass and dodged Kitchee goalkeeper Paulo Da Silva near the halfway line. The diminutive forward then pushed forward and fired a quick shot, only to send the ball bouncing wide off the Kitchee goal.

On the 79th minute, Cleiton Velasquez penetrated the Kwoon Chung Southern half down the right side and knocked the ball towards the middle. Dejan Damjanovic fired away but blasted the ball over the Kwoon Chung Southern goal.

Kitchee drew level on the 82nd minute through a spectacular individual effort. Dejan Damjanovic picked up the ball from Chan Shinichi down the left side. The veteran marksman belted a classy strike that hit the back of the Kwoon Chung Southern net through the far side. It was a superb effort from Damjanovic indeed. The score was now tied at 1:1.

Both sides failed to add to the score in the remaining regulation time and the match entered extra-time.

On the 93rd minute, Kitchee’s Alexander Akande gained control of the ball down the right side of the Kwoon Chung Southern box, then spun-and-fired. Kwoon Chung Southern goalkeeper Ng Wai-him was beaten on the play, as the ball found its way into the net. Kitchee was now in front 2:1.

On the 112th minute, Kwoon Chung Southern almost served up more dramatics. A well-delivered corner-kick from Paco Chan found Stefan Pereira inside the Kitchee box. The Kwoon Chung Southern striker sent a dangerous header towards the Kitchee net, only to see his effort nicely claimed by Kitchee goalkeeper Paulo Da Silva.

Alexander Akane’s goal proved to be the difference of the game, as Kitchee came-from-behind to beat Kwoon Chung Southern 2:1 on the day, securing a spot in the FA Cup semi-final.


Kitchee 2:1 Kwoon Chung Southern